Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Advent Calendar 9/25

Today I'm going to discuss my top 15 albums of 2015 and this one is going to be a quick one because I have no focus because I am stressed af right now.

Also the font changes in this half way through and I have no clue how to fix it and I'm so sorry.


IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1)Glitterbug- The Wombats
2) E*MO*TION- Carly Rae Jepsen
3)So There- Ben Folds
4) Evermotion- Guster
5)Dapamine - B(O with a slash through it) RNS (BORNS)
6) Hamilton Soundrack
7) No Cities to Love- Sleater Kinney
8) Goon- Tobias Jesso Jr.
9) 25- Adele (Which Tobais Jesso Jr. wrote for)
10) Return to the Moon- EL VY
11) Algiers- Algiers
12) To Pimp a Butterfly- Kendrick Lamar
13) Poison Season- Destroyer
14) Ratchet- Shamir
15) Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance- Belle and Sebastian

Glitterbug is an emotional powerhouse of an album. With the lyrics just as stream of consciousness and just barely on the verge of coherent thought as the prior albums. The lyrics speak to the socially awkward life of a rock star. And they're beautiful. From songs about emojis to toxic relationships the album, and the band hold a special place in my heart. What it lacks in the punchy punk rock of the first album it makes up for in the lyrical beauty and the diversity of songs. From the screams of Emoticons to the broken heart sparseness of Isabelle, the album is a work of art.

E*MO*TION is everything a pop album needs to be. It's fun, it's easy to listen to, it's upbeat. It's everything I loved about 1989 without my little brother screaming it off key while I'm trying to sleep. There isn't anything truly profound about the album but I still think it's a pop work of art. With fun, poppy, upbeat lyrics and the feelings of being a teenager on the run from the world. It's wonderful and I love it.

So There is probably my favorite thing Ben Folds has ever done. Having been a Ben Folds fan for five or so years, this album feels like a culmination of everything he has been working towards, it's poignant with his usual themes of growing old and failed relationships, but in this beautiful orchestral package. Capable of Anything is just one of the best songs I have ever heard. So There is deceptively up beat sounding while dealing with a truly sad topic. And the Symphony at the end is to die for. Ben Folds has truly outdone himself.

Evermotion was probably the album I was most afraid of, I loved Guster so much, and I was so afraid that the album would be bad. I blame Bruce Springsteen for this irrational fear. The album was a return to form of the ethereal lost feelings of Ganging up on The Sun, which is a personal favorite of mine. And in concert Guster was one of the most amazing live shows I have ever seen. Highly recommend seeing them live and also just listening to them.
I'll still never be over the fact this happened

Dopamine is a power pop album for the ages. I originally found out about him through Taylor Swift's instagram. The album is a trip of just huge orchestral electronic music. With catchy lyrics and brilliant songs. I can't say enough nice things about this album. I feel like I'm running out of steam, I've been at this for almost an a hour and I've only covered five Albums. AHhhhhh

HAMILTON IS THE MOST AMAZING SHOW EVER AND I WOULD LOVE WHOEVER BOUGHT BE TICKETS TO GO SEE IT FOREVER AND EVER. Actually my girlfrend went and saw it and got me a signed playbill which is one of my prized possessions. The show is about founding father Alexander Hamilton and his rise from zero to hero. As someone who has felt like an underdog and not quite in place, the album speaks to me. I'ma little fiesty at times and maybe too loud for my own good. But Hamilton proves that even the poorest of the poor can change the world with their mind and their words.

No Cities to Love is a wonderful punk album by Carrie Brownstein from Portlandia which is something I never knew about the comedian/actress. The band is punk enough to be punk but light enough to feel like I don't need to shop at Hot Topic to listen to them. With a lovely weird album cover. No Cities to Love is the pure angst of the 90's for someone who wasn't done shitting his pants to experience them.

To Pimp a Butterfly isn't an album, it's a manifesto. A revolutionary rap album, coming from someone who doesn't often consume rap albums, it's one of the realest, most honest, and just brutal albums I have ever heard. Talking about what it was like growing up in Compton, the mystical powers of yams and just honestly one of the best albums released this year. And it should with Album of the year, I love 1989 to death, but truthfully what To Pimp a Butterfly has done is just breathtaking and powerful and it deserves the Grammy. Especially if the Grammys want to avoid the controversy they found themselves in last year.

Goon is one of the most amazing albums I have herd this year. With the weird idiosyncrasies like the trombone from the song Hollywood. To the pure heartbreak on the song How Could you Babe. The album isn't complex or flashy, but what it is is well written, powerful and really god damn enjoyable to listen to. Like an even sadder Ben Folds Tobais Jesso Jr. plays his heart out on the piano until you feel like you could cry for an eternity. 

25 will make you miss exes that you never had, help you survive Thanksgiving, and just generally be a kickass album. It makes sense that Tobais Jesso Jr. Helped write music for this album because he and Adele share a knack for making you miss the past and just experiance constant heartbreak. Even when you're happily in a relationship. My one bad habit with Hello is that I sometimes segue into the song Hello by Lionell Ritche which I accidentally sing to the tune of Careless whisper, because I'm a god damn mess of a man.  

Return to the Moon is all the melancholy of the National just more absurd and less of serious. Songs like I'm the Man to be are an off kilter adventure into this weird imagined sleazy world of out narrator. And Return to the Moon sounds like it fits in on an earlier National album. It's also just a beautiful album, much like what the National have done before. Yet it's a little less clean and a little more sparse, maybe harsher and a little rougher. Yet still just as wonderful and polished as other works by the artists on different projects, such as the National.

Algiers is one of the heaviest, saddest, angriest albums I have heard all year. It's just pure pain, misery and brutality. And it's wonderful. It's like the gospel from hell. The singer is truly brilliant at conveying the pain and anger he feels at whatever he is singing about. Angry hymnals, brutal sermons, hell rains down upon the sinners. It's clear where the inspiration from traditional gospel music is drawn upon and utilized. And even inspirations such as Tom waits and Nick Cave are obvious in this angry powerhouse of an album.

Poison Season is a wonderfully weird baroque pop album that while the vocals are weird the beautiful instrumentation and the beautiful lyricism warms your heart. Even with songs like Hell is an Open door which sounds like it might fit in a Pixar film. And songs like Dream Lover are just power plays that astound and amaze you each time with their lively and powerful ways.

Ratchet might be one of the weirder albums on the list, falling in some kind of Hip hop, dance, rap album that defies true genre and is one of my favorite things to listen to this year. And while it might not be for everyone, the clever and catchy lyrics make the album one of the best, and the beautiful and poppy instrumentation make it a dance masterpiece

Girls in Peacetime Just Want to Dance isn't my favorite Belle and Sebastian album, but it does deserve a space on this list, because with the song writing, Belle and Sebastian didn't and have never really let me down. With their funny little stories they wrap in their poppy little packages the album delivers an enjoyable listen start to finish, it was also one of the first albums I bought and listened to in 2015, further cementing its place among my favorites of this year. Belle and Sebastian are one of my favorite bands and even if this album doesn't suit your fancy, I guarantee they have a song you'll love.


So that's my 15 favorite albums of the year, which I know some of you will disagree. Well, let me know what your favorite albums this year have been in the comments. Honorable mentions include Carrie And Lowell which I truthfully haven't listened to enough of to really talk about so I didn't feel right adding it to the list (Sorry, Erik.)
Anyway I hope you all enjoyed the post

Happy Holidays


Love

Bailey S. Fox









No comments:

Post a Comment