Saturday, December 12, 2015

Advent Calendar 12/15

Tomorrow I'll have passed the half way point of this blogathon.

Thank god.

Today I'm going to talk about musical theater and emotional expression

Today I was in a discussion with some friends about hoe there aren't that many great songs for guys in musical theater, all of the great, powerful songs are for girls.

And it's weird because usually in the world of media men get the better roles. But We figured it out, all the female songs are about expressing emotion, overcoming opression, having revalations. And the guy songs are more or less about whatever. Like there are a million love songs, but no true expressions of emotion. And that's when we figured it out, all the good songs for men are very fatherly songs (with exception of course, all of these statements have exceptions.) Because in our culture we're only comfortable with men expressing true, sincere emotion and vulnerability if hes a father figure, or he's in love. Girls in musical theater have so many songs about so many things. Astonishing from little women, Mama I'm a Big Girl Now from Hairspray, The I Love You Song From 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, the list goes on. But for guys, unless they're being a father they aren't allowed to really emote. Sure there are Exceptions, Chip on my Shoulder from Legally Blonde, literally all of Hamilton, but other than exceptions like that, no one wants men really having those arc, because as a society we aren't comfortable with weak men. And even the female roles are very typical, they fit gender roles so strongly. And it's so wrong. As a writer I try to fix this, I spent a large portion of my script writing making sure I write dynamic and powerful female roles. I try to write complex male characters who feel fear and insecurity. Self doubt. Because I feel these things, and all men feel these things, and we have told people that they can't. And it's wrong, because that creates broken people. Men need to know it's okay to be and feel whatever they want. And that societal masculinity is a destructive and toxic picture. Just like societal femininity is horrible and destructive. Women can be strong and empowered and accomplish things and not have to endure being called a bitch. Men can be afraid, depressed, fashionable, insecure, they can cry, they can compliment men, and not be called pussies, or gay, or whatever slurs people use.

As a culture we are so god damned obsessed with categories that we force people into them. And it's destructive.



I have never been a masculine man, and I'm okay with that. Call me what you want. Tell me how much dick I suck. Tell me how gay I sound, how much of a pussy I am. Because the fact that I can enjoy myself and cry like a man just means I'm more okay with myself than you. And just because I cry and I enjoy things that aren't sports and I think drooling over girls is weird doesn't make me effeminate. It makes me a person. Emotions and traits shouldn't have to have an assigned gender. Our feelings and thoughts shouldn't have to be assigned a gender. It's almost 2016, get the hell over yourself.

And write more interesting roles for women. Make it the norm to fully develop all your characters.


Stop sucking


Happy Holidays

<3


Love,

Bailey S. Fox 

No comments:

Post a Comment