Sunday, December 13, 2015

Advent Calendar 13/25

Right now I'm living on a prayer as I write this.
(Cause I'm half way there)

Anyway, I'm going to talk to you about why the best thing I've done for myself since I started high school is to stop going to dances.

I have not been to a school dance since 10th grade. It was going to be my first dance going with someone, I was going with my friend, wasn't really a date but it was something to do and I wasn't going to be there alone. She left me for a guy who wanted to kick my ass the moment we walked in the door. He wasn't my biggest fan, I dated his ex-girlfriend. I also existed in the headspace that if I didn't go I'd miss some chance with some girls and I'd live the rest of my life alone. It's why I went to parties too. Like I was really afraid that if I didn't go I'd miss the life changing event that every 80's movie with a dance scene had. And I never found those. I stood against the wall until my couple friends would adopt me as their sad child they'd have to chapperone for the night. Or one time an older girl took pity on me and danced with me. But anyway, I'd spend the whole dance (or party) miserable and then I'd go home, having wasted the whole night there instead of watching a movie with one of my guy friends. Or Female friends. Or even just by myself. Literally anything could have been better. But I was so afraid of missing out I'd torture myself with these dances, finally my junior year of high school I had had enough, and since the first dance I was allowed to go to in third grade, I didn't go. And I went to my best friend's house and we stayed up playing video games and watching movies. Slowly poisoning ourselves with artificially flavored sodas and doritos. And we were happy. We wandered the neighborhood and the forests. None of us were on the docket to win homecoming king, and we were alright with that. We enjoyed each other's company. It was what high school was supposed to be about. Memories with friends. Not shitty dances. Now if dances are where you make your memories then by all means go. But don't go because you're afraid not to, because if you go out of a sense of obligation, not a desire to want to go, you'll be miserable the whole time. You'll stand there against the wall drinking that weird sherbet punch and listening to a grown man play the same 10 songs he did last year doing the same job that an ipod on shuffle could do. High school dances are cool if you're like one of four people in the high school hierarchy.

Don't waste your time,

Stay home with friends,

they love you.

You're not missing anything but awkward teenage grinding and that song about having sex, you know the one. The one you always wonder why they play at a high school dance.

Also cotton eyed joe will play and I'm still the only person that doesn't know hoe to dance that. Or the cupid shuffle.


Happy holidays
<3

Bailey S. Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment