Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Nerds

Being a nerd. This is a topic that has been written and talked about by thousands of people. Some most notably are John Green with this quote :
Wil Wheaton also had this video  where he responds to a little girl's question about being called a nerd. I figured as a teenage writer I could throw my two cents the web's way and hope to make my point clear.

I am a nerd. Not in an ironic way. Not in a sexy way. Not in a quirky way. I didn't wake up one morning and decide to fall in love with Doctor Who. It's just what I like. It's no big statement being a nerd it doesn't define me or change who I am. I'm also not confined where I can only be a "Nerd". What I like does not define me and I have a huge problem with the "Nerd/Geek" stereotype. I have this bone to pick with Big Bang Theory. I don't like how in order to know the fact that Spock and Sherlock Holmes are canonically related as stated in the 6th Star Trek movie the person bearing that knowledge has to be some kind of awkward socially inept creature. I don't like that because it doesn't have to be true. I don't like how people who watch BBT and think that it makes them "Nerds" I mean, you can be a "Nerd" and watch it but the act of watching it does not make you a "Nerd". It's also okay to like the show. This is just my personal opinion on it. It doesn't make you cool to watch Star Wars, or Back to the Future. It doesn't make you cool to read or love math or science. But here's the secret. Being head of the football team doesn't make you cool either. Also the two "worlds" aren't mutually exclusive. You can be a star quarter back and go home and have have a great time playing D&D. Being a "Nerd" doesn't make you a virgin. Being a nerd doesn't make you cool or lame. Being good at sports doesn't make you cool or lame. You make you cool or lame. You as a person. What you do, what you say, who you say it to, whose lives you change, that's what makes you cool. Not being a Doctor Who fan, not being a Steelers fan. Being a nerd doesn't define you, it does not limit you but it does not make you superior. It's just what you love, and you love it in the same way that some people like sports, or fashion, or building things. It doesn't matter what you love it matters that you love it and you get joy from it. It's okay to love Star Trek. It's okay to hate Star Trek. It's okay To be a Jets Fan (Not really Jets suck. Go Steelers) It's okay not to be a Jets fan. But what it's not okay to do is to judge someone for having a different taste in things than you. We all love different things, if we didn't it'd be boring. The fact that there is some much to love about this world is what makes life worth living. So go dress un as Warf from TNG and go watch a football game. You can do that. Anyone can do anything. I'm going to say it again. The things you love do not define you. The actions you do are what defines you. Not liking Star Wars Does not make you better than the kid that does. Making fun of that kid for it makes you a worse person than him. If he bullies you for not liking Star Wars than he is a worse person than you are.

This post can apply to many people. Hipsters, gays, actors, sports fans, anyone. The message still stays the same. Love what you want and don't hate others if they don't love what you do. Just because someone's love is different doesn't make it bad, it makes it different. And our differences make life worth living.

Thank you for listening to my rant.
I love you all. <3

-Bailey S. Fox

P.S. It's my dad's birthday tomorrow (April 16th) and I'd like to thank him for teaching me this lesson. When he was showing me a lot of the things I'd grow to love as a teenager he never made it seem like I was "better" than others just because I liked something they didn't and vice versa. Thank you Dad, happy birthday <3

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you, Bailey Fox! I am proud of the person you have become and proud to be your Aunt .XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post. People tend to get too wrapped up in the categories we put on each other to make life easier to break down and to make it all more palatable. What must be lacking in the "sense of self" if someone lives a life by the sword and shield of the basket they're tossed into based upon some superfluous phrasing, labeling, etc., derived from random interests or hobby. I liked your touch-points on how limiting this can be. Well said.

    ReplyDelete