Thursday, February 13, 2014

Son Of An Educator (Or How I Learned to Love Learning)

I hate school. I hate tests, homework, pop quizzes, some of the students some of the teachers. I hate waking up early and getting home late. 
But. and this is an important but.
It's the single most important thing I've done in my life.
I'm not going to win any awards for getting on this soap box, I'm sure someone has said this before me and someone will say this after me but this is opinion.
I wouldn't be here writing this blog writing my rants and forming my puns if it weren't for the school system.
And people complain and gripe and moan.
We blame the teachers we blame the principals and the superintendents and the teachers and each other.
We whine and complain when school is open in the bad weather.
But the thing is, we need to be in school for 180 days to get our state funding.
Without state funding we close.
Now this is a very localized rant but it can apply to other places, at least in New York state and even other places.
Now some of you would love if our school closed. I'm not saying I wouldn't but you have to think of the consequences.
All your favorite teachers? Gone.
Your friends probably woudn't bein the same classes or even the same school maybe.
You'd be shipped to a school like 20 or more minutes away just to go to school, every day.
Now yes my school and all schools make dumb choices. They do dumb things, they might have bad management, they might have some bad teachers too, but I can't imagine myself anywhere else.
This school, for as much as I hate it at times is the place that I matter, it's the place I met my friends and teachers. It tries damn hard to give us a good education with what we have.

But think about it. If your school has a music department and an art teacher you're lucky. There are a lot of schools that don't have these things. Some of you reading this might not have these things. You have to admit that for all the things we complain about our school, at least some of the people in it, dedicate their lives to making you ready for the real world. I would not have the privilege to write and rant if it were not for my school. I can trace back my whole "Journey" of wanting to become a writer/director/actor and the major turning points happened because of educators. And since my parents are teachers they count in that too. 
So you can whine and moan and cry about you having to go to school. But you remember there are teachers there who dedicate their lives to you and this place. So write your Facebook statuses, and I'll write mine complaining about the school too. There is a lot wrong with the system, it isn't perfect, it's far from it. But don't forget the reason you can even properly write those statuses.
To summarize, complain, but don't take what you have for granted. And don't generalize. Because I know in my school while there are some things I'm not a fan of it has some of the most dedicated and helpful teachers I've ever known. I look forward to some of my classes every day because I know that I'm going to learn and talk about something new.
And for my teachers reading this, thank you.
Bailey S. Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment