Monday, February 10, 2014

Being Human

If you're reading this than congratulations, you're human! You're the most advanced species on earth, you're billions of years of evolution whose main occupation is staring at a glowing screen for 8 hours a day.
As cynical as this introduction sounds it's based off an earlier discussion. We as humans have given ourselves the award for being the most advanced species on Earth. Which when you say it like that makes it sound like you're giving yourself a high-five.
 
But, we're the only ones to do this. Think about it, though it may seem your cat is a pompous jerk that's just our interpretation of it. Cats as far as we know don't feel emotions, at least not as deep or complex as ours. Plus even if they did they don't give a crap about other animals. We're the only ones like "SAVE THE FORESTS MAN." We're the only ones who are greedy and feel guilt for it. We're so advanced that we feel guilt for our natural survival instincts. There aren't vegetarian lions or tree hugging termites. They eat with no remorse. They don't write things or see therapists. They don't care about the so-called atrocities they commit. That silverbacks gorilla does not care about that human it just ripped in half and it doesn't care that other people do. It has no moral code per say. Now this is all based off of what we know. We've shown, with science a lot of animals are smart enough to solve puzzles. Many works of literature show animals taking over the human race. For instance
 
A fantastic movie about humanity and monkeys and all that jazz. The worst atrocity committed in the series was this:
Like that ending didn't even make sense. How would going forward to the future change the past to all apes and the Ape-raham Lincoln?! Also he never made it back in the original he dies launching nukes or something I don't really remember in all honesty. But I digress. We're so obsessed as humans to comparing ourselves to animals. And if the animals became sentient how they'd resent us or be like us. They aren't us though. They could see and experience the world differently with their own morals and things because of the sentience. It's all a bunch of theoretical stuff anyways.
But I also want to touch upon why we're different from other animals and have earned our right to say we're the most advanced. If you're in the middle of a forest fire (This is an example stolen from my English teacher) Animals will be trying their hardest to escape. But humans will be the only ones to pause and be like:
"Woah, that's cool."
and then resume their running. Or try to put it out. Or save the trees because their in danger of being extinct. Or make movies about other animals. Or spend an hour rambling about humans and comparing them to cats and then saying you can't compare humans to cats. 
Humans care.
And they also don't care
But that lack of caring comes from a place of caring.
Cats are indifferent. I feed him therefore he sticks around. I stop feeding him that sucker is gone. But humans stick around. Through abuse, through hell and famine. Because we care. Because we're the only animals who worry about time. We only have time because we created it. Cat's aren't like:
"I better savor this Kibble cause this might be my last."
But humans are worried about not being remembered. So we create, we make messages in bottles and throw them into the abyss hoping someone will hear us. We do it in the form of art, movies, tv, books, poems, songs, graffiti, words scrawled on a dingy bathroom wall. We need to matter, even if it's just for a moment to one person. We're the only ones who care. It's why I write. It's why I act and perform. I need the attention the affirmation I matter to someone. It's why I write this now, homing someone will see it and go:
"Huh, that's neat. I'll send that to my buddy."
So, if you got this far through my rambling
Thanks, yo.
-Bailey S. Fox

5 comments:

  1. I’m the type of person who keeps her feeling inside and won’t admit many of them especially to myself. As years go by, things change. A few years ago, I thought I knew exactly who I was and what would happen in the future. I can now say I was very wrong. Everything was right at that moment. It’s almost as if the stars aligned in my eyes and time had stopped, yet at the same time, it had never been faster. It seemed as if every moment in my life was part of a story book and I knew at the end, there would be my happy ending. Little did I know, my story book was much longer, and my happy ending was not as near or as perfect as I thought. Things changed. Fast. Uncontrollably. The watch I had that ticked away seconds until my happy ending seemed to freeze. No matter how hard I tried at that moment to believe I saw it moving, it wasn’t. My, what seemed to be perfect life was over in the blink of an eye and the turn of a page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some time, I was alright. I knew I had people who loved me even though I didn’t really know what love was. I only knew the kind of love I was taught and given. I never found out the meaning of it on my own. Days went by, and I was happy. Really, I was. Everything was in order, my family, friends, and my grades. The farther this went on, the more I saw how fake it all was. I was living my life day by day, but I wasn’t seeing them go by. As if a white sheet surrounded me and all I could see was white light. I knew everything was ok because light means good, right? That’s what I told myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This next part I don’t remember well. Like I said, it all went by so fast I didn’t have time to catch my breath. By the time I realized how out of control I was, I was suffocating. My best friends had gone on without me. My family expected so much, I forgot what I was doing. My school work was beginning to become my nightmare. I couldn’t control anything. Every day was a blur, a mere flash of light in the darkness. I don’t know what happened to me at that time. I felt so alone. I’ve never before felt such a deep hole in my heart that I didn’t know how to fill. I was so lost in my labyrinth of my mind. I had lost my voice from crying for help, yet, no one heard my screams. Many nights, I felt like I would just stay there, huddled in the corner of my room. Everything was spinning so fast out of control and I had long lost my direction. As for my story book; I had forgotten how to read. I was stuck on that same page where the villain thinks they’ve won, and I was too afraid to turn the page. I kept telling myself it’s not true, but I somehow knew that pages after that would be blank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite writers once asked, “What are you passionate about?” and I really didn’t know how to answer it even though I desperately wanted to. There’s another thing I wouldn’t admit to myself; the fact that his writing makes me find pieces of myself. He’s not your average writer though. You wouldn’t think a boy who imagines himself as cowboy or a lone knight wandering, fighting the world, would be the one to open your eyes. Don’t take this writer for granted. I did, and now I see what I what I missed. The role he plays in my life is a difficult one to explain. During my time of weakness, he was the only one that held me up. He gave me so much strength with every word of advice. He gave me a glimmer of hope with every hug. He showed me I have more to live for with every “you can do this.” Throughout some time, I grew to accept the fact that this writer was my best friend. It is the most unusual and unexpected but truly loyal kind of friendship. He’s not very into mushy feelings and shpeels, which is ironic because he writes them. This brilliant person is helping me find myself slowly. He’s not just reading me my story book; he’s helping me write in the blank pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “I know there are people who say all these things don’t happen, and there are people who forget what it’s like to be 16 when they turn 17. That these will all be stories some day and our pictures will become old photographs… but right now, these moments are not stories. This is happening, I am here. I can see it, the one moment when you know you’re not a sad story, you are alive. And you stand up and see the lights on the buildings, and you’re listening to that song on a drive with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment, I swear. We are infinite.”

    ReplyDelete