Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014: A Retrospective

So, I want to start out by thanking everyone who has read my blog since its beginning in February of this year, the support and feedback have been astounding and wonderful and I truly love you all.

This post will be both a personal retrospective and me talking about all the cool stuff I saw this year, so it will be broken into two sections.

PART ONE

2014: A Year in Being Bailey.

2014 has been a year of self discovery and growth. And it's partially thanks to this blog, hearing about other people's thoughts and feelings and how what I ramble about affects them has been an incredible experience and one I hope to continue into 2015. I've made a lot of new friends in 2014 and they have made my life so much better just by existing. I have found a sense of support, love, and acceptance that I never thought I'd have and never knew I was missing. I got the lead in my school show which is another experience I never thought I'd be able to have. I feel like I've really found myself as a person this year and I've become someone at least I can be proud of.

I've lost a lot of my shame, I don't feel ashamed for my undying of Taylor Swift's new album. I don't feel ashamed that my Christmas gifts included new Legos, a Lego book, the Lego movie, a Nerf gun and novelty socks. I don't feel ashamed to sing and perform before a crowd. I don't feel ashamed for my laugh or my voice or my smile or my hair or my body and I refuse to let people try to make me feel it. I love the way I dress and the people I surround myself with.

I refused to let people label me as masculine or not masculine based on my interests or personality because that's a dumb thing to base an arbitrary label on. My masculinity isn't based on if I have a pink lunchbox or not. It's not based on what my hobbies are.You shouldn't try to change yourself to better fit this label, or any label, because that is an unhealthy and dumb way to think. You're an amazing human being no matter what people label you as. It's time to grow up and break out of this hyper-masculine way of thinking that makes even grooming yourself and moisturizing your face as something "feminine" and "weak." I like those fruity smelling hand sanitizers and lotions, that doesn't in anyway make me more or less of a man. It doesn't dictate what gender or people I'm attracted to and it doesn't really affect anyone else but me. The fact that I like fruity smelling hand sanitizers doesn't and shouldn't really matter to anyone else.

This year I think I've finally started to truly love myself and not have to overcompensate for my insecurity with my ego. I think I've finally become a good person, I've done a lot of lousy things to people in the past. I've been immature and hurtful and rude and I've done a lot of not cool things to people I've cared about and I'm sorry. I'm sorry to anyone I've wronged. I hope you can forgive me, I'll try to do better in 2015.

And that's what New Years is about, trying to do better. It's about accepting all of the crazy, lame, hurtful, lousy, painful, things that happened in the previous year and then trying to make the next year better. Trying to be a better you. Trying to make your life better and love the people around you better. And that's my resolution. I want to love the people around be more. I want to be a better friend and significant other. I want to be less defensive and more loving. So happy New Years everyone, let's make 2015 a good year.




PART TWO:

2014: A Year in Really Good Movies and Music.

MOVIES/TV:
Here are my top 10 movies and TV Shows I saw in 2014 in no real order.

10) The Lego Movie
9) Godzilla
8) Big Hero 6
7) Guardians of the Galaxy
6) The Skeleton Twins
5) Community
4) Parks and Rec
3) Sherlock
2) Last Week Tonight
1) The Colbert Report (Good night, sweet prince)

MUSIC
Top 10 Albums from 2014 in no real order

10) Hungry Ghosts- Ok Go
9) Everything Will be Alright in the End- Weezer
8) Saint Vincent- Saint Vincent
7) 1989- Taylor Swift
6) Sonic Highways- The Foo Fighters
5) The Guardians of the Galaxy Soundtrack
4) Strange Desire- The Bleachers
3) Morning Phase- Beck
2) The Lego Movie Soundtrack
1) Wrong- The Airborne Toxic Event



So, I want to say thank you to everyone who has been reading the blog this year and I hope your 2015 is the best year yet. Thank you all so much for reading this extra long post. Happy Holidays, I'll write again in 2015!

<3

Bailey S. Fox


1 comment:

  1. You're right i loved you but you didn't seem to care but i still forgive you

    ReplyDelete