Friday, October 10, 2014

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

As a child, superman was my favorite superhero. But as I got older, superman seemed childish and less cool, which as it seems is how everyone else seems to feel judging by the dark and gritty superman things we've seen in the last decade.
Grr, I'm Superman. Grr
But this isn't really a blog complaining about Superman. This is more a blog exploring my personal relationship with the idea of Superman and Clark Kent.

As I've said previously I've always struggled with my self image. And lately I've felt kinda bored and lost within myself, and I don't really know how to break out of this funk I find myself in. And since I can't seem to save myself I've been trying to save others. Because if I can save someone else then I can save myself or someone else can save me. And I've been wearing a lot of red and blue because I'm Superman, damn it. Or at least I can pretend to be.

Superman is the quintessential superhero. Everyone knows who Superman, he fights against evil and saves the world from people who wish to do it harm. Not because his parents are dead or because he was irradiated by gamma rays or any other reasons, he does it because he can't understand not doing the right thing.

During the writing of this blog post I received a phone call about my National Honors Society application. Apparently the board in charge of admitting people is split 50/50 on letting me in. Tuesday I have to go in and give a presentation on why I should be allowed into the society, based off the rubric, it's supposed to be a non-arrogant, introspective presentation to the principal.

OH THANK GOD I GET TO BE NON-ARROGANT AND PRESENT TO AN AUTHORITY FIGURE ON WHY I'M GOOD ENOUGH. THIS IS ALMOST TOO EASY, ALL OF MY STRENGTHS.

Okay, rant over, luckily this relates to this blog, great timing.

So, if you can't tell sometimes I have trouble feeling like I'm good enough, so I compensate with being arrogant. That combined with my lack of trust in authority figures brings us back to the point I want to make.

Superman isn't just an alien, he was a baby, rocketed to Earth and raised as a human. He sees Clark Kent and Superman as two separate people. I don't agree with Kill Bill, Superman doesn't think that man is weak, he sees Clark as what mankind is and Superman as what humanity can be, not the superpowers, per say, but rather as symbols of hope and good. He believes humanity can be strong, humanity can be powerful, and brave, and good. We don't have to be cowards, we don't have to be evil. Superman isn't a symbol for America, he's a symbol of hope for two young Jewish kids who created him.

And we can distil this idea further, Superman is the way I embody this idea, that I can be better, that I can fight another day, I can move on and keep going, and that's all I need. But, you can use anything that gives you hope, this is just how I keep going. I know that even though things suck and seem grim I can fight against shit and not give up. And sometimes that's enough.

I like to a lot of the times wear an outfit comprised of red and blue, not because it matches my sneakers, but because it reminds be of superman and I can keep going. I can save the day, I can win and keep going.

<3

Bailey S. Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment